BLS Instructor Course
The primary purpose of the American Red Cross Basic Life Support Instructor course is to train instructor candidates to teach the basic-level American Red Cross Basic Life Support course.
Course Objectives It is your responsibility as an instructor trainer to see that instructor candidates meet the learning objectives listed at the beginning of each lesson in this instructor trainer’s guide. After completing the course, instructor candidates will be able to:
- Exhibit the characteristics required of an American Red Cross representative and role model.
- Follow the directives and procedures related to the conduct and administration of American Red Cross courses,
including the Instructor Trainer Agreement and Instructor Trainer Code of Conduct.
- Conduct courses in a manner that helps participants to stay engaged in the learning process and meetcourse objectives.
- Perform applicable basic life support (BLS) skills to the standard at instructor-level skill proficiency.
- Plan for and ensure participants’ health and safety during training.
- Maintain complete and accurate records and reports.
and the requirements of the specific class they will be teaching.
- Monitor participants’ practice, evaluate performance and provide corrective feedback and encouragement that is consistent with the skill assessment tools (i.e., skill practice sheets, practice scenarios and testing scenarios).
- Recognize that the requirements in the skill assessment tools are criteria for ascertaining the proficiency of aparticipant’s performance.
- Effectively use program materials and training equipment.
- Explain procedures for acknowledging course completion and accessing American Red Cross digital certificates.
- Deliver quality, consistent and standardized content by following the Basic Life Support instructor manual(s) and
other program materials.
This blended learning course combines online content with an in-person session for individuals seeking to become an American Red Cross Basic Life Support instructor. Successful participants will receive a Basic Life Support Instructor certification and a Basic Life Support certification, both valid for 2 years.